Monday 12 May 2014

Cleaning Make-up Brushes on a Budget


I love using brushes while applying my make-up as I think it gives a great effect, however, using brushes means there's going to be cleaning brushes. I can never be bothered with this but know it has many hygiene benefits as well as allowing the brushes to work at their optimum.

I aim to clean my brushes once a week but obviously this doesn't always happen so sometimes it's more 2 or 3 times a month. Still ok I think but not perfect. Back home I would use the MAC make-up brush cleanser as I found it was easy to use either for a full wash or just a quick one using a paper towel. It left the brushes soft and returned them back to white. But now that I am travelling around I don't have such a disposable income which means that MAC has gone out the window. So I researched a bit into what would be a good alternative and found that many people have said Johnsons Baby Shampoo.

This may sound a little crazy but when you think about it, the shampoo has been made for the most delicate of skin/hair so it'll be the most gentle there is out there. I love using this Shampoo for my brushes as it does leave them really soft and looking like brand new. They lather up nicely (just like when you wash your hair) which I think gives a slight deeper clean than the MAC cleanser. I also love the smell of it...is that weird?!


Tips for washing make-up brushes:
  1. Using warm water- not hot as this will damage the brush
  2. Place a small amount of the shampoo into the palm of your hand
  3. After dampening the brush swirl it in the shampoo- use the ridges your fingers make to get right in between all the bristles
  4. ALWAYS make sure the brush is facing down the way (bristles at the bottom) as this will prevent water going into the brush which will damage it and cause the bristles to fall out
  5. Rinse the brush well to ensure all the shampoo has been washed off
  6. Make sure to dry the brushes upside down for the same reason in number 4
Hope you found this useful- clean brushes are happy brushes after all!
Anyone got any other tips for cleaning brushes?

Thanks for reading
Iona x

Bloglovin'- TheLittleLassie
Twitter- ionaTLL
Instagram- thelittlelassie
Youtube - TheLittleLassies



No comments:

Post a Comment